Saturday, March 8, 2008

More Log Cabin

Why is it that the newest WIP is so temping? I have pieces that are semi-close to done, but for some reason they don't have the same appeal. Perhaps it is because the log-cabin is different from the others - more of an experiment. The needles are midsized (8), unlike my French yarn scarf (5), or my huge afghan (15, double stranded Red Heart), but though it takes more rows for my hands to cramp up, it's the experimenting that is keeping it interesting.

I experimented in circling the rectangle - though only went halfway around so I could see if the yarn over and increase coming back would work. It looked ok. But I think it needs more color. I like the look of keeping the stitches live; it feels more knit, binding off and picking up the stitches gives a greater stiffness. Plus the back is looking cleaner and cleaner as I go on, mostly from getting better at picking up the stitches - but it does lend to a feeling of progress.



Also I'm using mostly stash yarn - left over from other afghans - which is hiding evidence that a bag of yarn apparently went missing when I bought some of it, or that I overbought in response to running out and not being able to go out to fetch more immediately. (If you've never had to stay home, then I don't think this will register.)

On another note, I went to Goodwill. I had the thought the other night about virgin wool, and googled recycling yarn. A variety of interesting blogs popped up where people had gone to a thift shop, found a promising sweater and then ripped it apart for the yarn. Which seemed like an interesting idea, and added to the suggestions in other places that it might be a decent place to find needles and yarn... I went. And have come to the conclusion that the people who found silk blends, and other nice non-polymer knits were in bigger and wealthier areas. Only found one silk/cotton some nylon blend - no wool - and that had a huge multcolored motif on the lower front corner - not enough yarn, or good enough to attempt to dissect it.

And they were right about one thing - it breaks your heart to see the granny square blankets in near pristine condition. Perhaps I can think that maybe someone spent all those hours and intentionally donated some of them - I hope so. And perhaps it is a good thing, that family members donated the old 70s yarn colors afghans that were there too, at least they weren't tossed.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Love the colors in your log cabin. It's going to be really beautiful when it's finished.