Friday, July 17, 2009

Too many choices...

This is the NE side of the house - and I'm uncertain what I want to do here. It's fairly dry - as it is a foundation bed. There is snow-on-the-mountain aka bishop's weed, a lupine, a volunteer garden phlox, a volunteer __, a pink daylilly, and a green hosta.

I have a white bleeding heart, some columbine I grew from seed, and some liatris bulbs... but was struck with the idea of putting different hosta there...

On one hand this is close to the front door - more flowers would be nice - and my other columbine aren't thriving so it would be nice if they would here. I started tearing out the b.w. because the phlox has powdery mildew - and grabbed one of my remaining bags of mulch.

This is the side of the house that the gas and water line comes in on - so the beds can't really be extended from where they are. So moisture is always going to be an issue.

Hmm... Any opinions?

2 comments:

Val said...

Well I don't know much about your climate but if the site is dryish have you thought of palms or cacti? We grow palms such as Draceanas down here in Cornwall UK and they do really well in drought conditions as do Cordylines. My spelling might be off there! Val

Laura Gardens in Desert said...

Hi Ann,
I see a small boulder wall in the center that hold up a tier so that it looks like 2 levels with the sides cascading down, some more echaneacea to play off the green, and something else vertical. Ah, visions are so fleeting...sorry.
But it's fun! I got some wiggler worms btw. Thanks. Bye for now.