Thursday, November 20, 2008

From scarves to hats...

I finished the red wool scarf. Well, except for weaving in the beginning and tail ends... I hate weaving in ends. Which is probably why the afghan I "completed" 3 years ago and that has been on my bed long before that (best place to store a blanket WIP), still has ends to work in. Plus it got gored by the metal frame for my bed, so there's a patch job.

So, having completed the red scarf - as I only had 4 balls of Lion Wool in that lot, from when the local Walmart clearanced out its craft area. Lion Wool has less yardage per skein, and I've been burned by wool-ease balls so often, so I didn't get this until it was about $1.50 per ball. I have 3 more balls in a different lot number (thought I only had 1) so I immediately latched onto the idea of making a matching hat. (Once I confirmed that the Patons red beret I knit and felted (as I knit it far too big) was the wrong color.) However, in small circular needles, I only had a set of size 9 or 10, and with size 8 on the scarf, the gauge was too loose for a hat, so I'm thinking 7 or 6.

This meant, I got distracted and made a nice black hat with the size 4's in the meantime.

Roll brim, ribbed row then an increase, with a circular decrease on the top, trying to flatten it out.

With that done, still distracted, I pulled out some old Wool-ease that I last used on my brother's afghan (that my Mom has in addition to her own 62 is a good house temp with blankets), and have been trying another roll brim, with an diagonal rib.

The problem here is that I started with 160 cast on, as I know that it would be thinner than the Paton's. I went with my double ended 3's, but I stink at multiple needles (I keep making accidental yo's at the new needle) so I went to the circular 4 16" needle, but could see even more light with the rib, so have gone to a 3, and now to the only 2's I have double-ended.

And still there doesn't seem to be the density I want for a hat.

No comments: